Tuesday, October 24, 2006

Polly Town


Polly Town
Originally uploaded by TomOwen.

I recognize that I do not have that particular genomic make-up that captures my Saturday through Monday Night to watch, track and discuss footfall in the fall and the other seasonal competitions. I can, however, unlike my sporting Sensei brother, change a light bulb without calling the "Super" (Bad "Super Bulb" pun goes here. My brother is a good guy and has taken that sporting skill to great highs. Fantasy leagues for this and that and I also realize that he is not alone in this passion... For my "Y Chromosome" to have dropped this trait is the exception, not the rule.

However, when my wife and I were pregnant with our oldest child, I was a bit relieved to be assured (I knew before hand) that we were having a girl. This meant that I may likely escape some of the pressures of teaching my son not only how to throw and catch "the right way" but more over, how to foster that "Sporting gene". The one that effects the brain in such a way that you visualize the playing field from 100 feet in the air and can see plays unfolding etc.... the strategy of the game. Me, I like baseball when I am the batter, not the outfielder. I like golf on the tee and the second shot, short game not so much. There is no way I can sit in the grill and recount each shot in vivid detail let alone a year later.... in fact, I have trouble remembering where the ball went once I relinquish the tee to let someone else stand-up and swing as hard as they can at that little ball to see how far they can make it go.... That is why they stand up there, right?

Anyway, back to girls... I have coached my daughter's soccer teams for four seasons. Not because that "is my sport" rather I want them to be exposed to many new things and team sports is one of them. This is something else that we can do and learn together. On her team opposing forwards are much safer than a rogue Daisy in the backfield.

It is a social event for my both girls. The three on three format of Kinderleague does a better job of rewarding aggression and bribery. When little one gets mad or hears that there is a visit to the ice-cream truck as a reward for good play and staying with it... she can dribble the ball all the way around and ultimately into the opposing team's goal. Not so much in the bigger leagues. Perhaps because there is no ice-cream truck at that field???

What both of my girl do very well and one of the attributes for which we, as parents, are very proud, is use their imaginations. Independently, with each other, with friends and in groups. Both girls are willing to try to soccer, volleyball, basketball... but also, they are comfortable in themselves to be alone.

This Polly Town is actually one large house comprised of many other toys after several trips to the toy cabinet and a few negotiations with her sister. This is sort of the Polly version of what I call Drazan Village (The new home of some good friends of ours). Away from school sports, homework etc... it was her day to think, play, create and enjoy her time at her tempo.

I am proud of my girls when they suit up and sit on the sidelines, when they give it their best on and off the field, when they score a point and congratulate the other team. But perhaps I am most proud when they show compassion. For each other, their family and for themselves. For as often as this happen, we are VERY proud, and lucky, parents.

tmo

No comments: