Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Ahh yes... PocketMail


Those of you who know me (and if you're reading this and don't know me, how did you find it and I'm sure you have better things to do ;-) know that I am still a huge fan of PocketMail. It combined a very simple UI with corner to corner coverage. Virtually anywhere you had a phone, you had coverage thanks to the Acoustic Mode technology. Acoustic Modems had been around. I saw my first acousitc modem when I was a boy at my Godparents house. They had two boys similar in age to me and my brother and lived on a large property in Woodside. The families would spend a lot of time together at teh pool, riding bikes, horses, camping out and generally having a great childhood. These gys also had this thingcalled and Apple. I don't know the Apple lineage very well but it had to be one of the first in circa 1973-75 ?? Anyhow, they also had an acoustic modem and called into a "Bulletin Board". Relavance? None. Juat a fond childhood memory and a brief introduction to how to dial a number, hear the squeals and stick the phone reciever in the two foam cups... same as PocketMail.

Why all this now? I saw a great article on TechCrunch today and I began to reminisce ;-)

Back to work...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

what