Words can't express how thrilled I am that she is such an avid reader and last night I had the privilege of reading with Chloe. Not 'to' Chloe, but with. I came in to her room to remind her it was time to turn off the light and she told me she had just started this "really good book" that her Godmother Tia had given her for Halloween. So I laid down on the bed next to her and she read to me for a while then I read to her for a while and so forth...
Earlier in the evening I went through a bundle of class work that Catherine brought home. Exercises I have never seen her do at home and didn't know she was doing in class. long, 4 page science test and the like that she scored very well (all 90% -100%)
So at one point I turned to Chloe and asked her if she thought that Catherine would love to read as much as she does.
She looked at me during the slightest pause then pronounced:
"Yes. She just needs Gee"
Inquisitively I looked at her and she explained that it was Gee's attention and working with her that she credits for getting her over the hump. She also explained that (her great grandmother) "Irene loved to read" and that she is "really interested in all things Irene".
The future is now told and with some help from Gee and a little influence from Irene, we will have the same problem getting Catherine to sleep that we do Chloe... Now turn off the light and get to bed!
Friday, November 02, 2007
Learning to Read; An Expert's Opinion
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



No comments:
Post a Comment